Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Random Thoughts

A few random thoughts today.

First, my copy of What Happened arrived today. A book review is coming soon.

Second, it's finally over. Senator Obama is now officially the presumptive Democratic nominee. His speech was great as usual. Senator Clinton did not concede (say what?) but hopefully her next move will serve to strengthen the party. Senator McCain's speech was a bomb (not da bomb) from all (but one) accounts. My only real gripe is that I wish the networks would have waited until after the Montana polls closed to make the announcement. This is the first time in a long time that the Democratic primaries/caucuses in every state mattered. Give them a few hours to make this thing official. There is no glory in being the first to report the glaringly obvious.

Third, I am now fully supportive of some sort of universal health care. The reason for the brief post is that I had to visit the doctor this morning. I paid $86 for the doctor to look in my throat and write a prescription. On the other hand, Walmart's $4 prescription plan is one of the few things about the company that I can agree with.


Fourth, go Pens! They played a heckuva game that went to triple overtime. They trail the series 3-2, but are playing at home next.

Fifth, we present a man who probably wouldn't know his arse from a hole in the ground if there was crap oozing from one and a sign next to the other reading "caution: hole in the ground." New York Times columnist David Brooks asserted that Senator Obama will have trouble relating to "downscale" people (whatever the hell that means) because he would not fit naturally at the salad bar at Applebees. Reality calling David Brooks: Applebees does not have a salad bar.

Oh, and Senator Obama is the least wealthy of the candidates. As a community organizer in Chicago's Southside, I am guessing that he has meet with quite a lot of "downscale" people.

Finally, I am glad that I am too old to be drafted. Looks like Israel is trying to push the United States into another war, this time against Iran. It's not the first time this issue has reared its ugly head. Please, Mr. President do not get us into another bad situation and leave it to your successor to clean up after you.

Chris

1 comment:

American Girl said...

Aw, that's so cute. Appealing to the president's better side. You do know that he doesn't have one.

Let me know all about Scotty's book. I won't touch it til I find it on a used bookstore shelf.

Just remember that universal health care means county hospital for all not high end for profit care that insured Americans get. Not knocking the concept (I live with it up here), I'm just saying.

The Canadian is rooting for the Penguins which mean I am rooting for the Penguins.

David Brooks is so down to earth, such a common man, maybe he was thinking of Big Boy but mispoke.

My Senator can handle the "downscale" folks. Most likely he wouldn't patronize them by calling them downscale.

Somebody find something for that lame duck to do. Maybe make him an honorary coach for the Orioles. Otherwise he'll be jonesing for an invasion. Freaking addict.